Now that my master’s degree is finished, I need something to keep my challenged. I decided that I’d work toward some personal goals for a while. In three months I’ll be 39 years old, that ripe old age that many people want to hold onto. It sounds so much younger than 40. Thinking about entering a new decade made me reflect on all the things I want to accomplish but haven’t yet. So I decided I’d create a list for myself of the 40 things I’d like to do before I turn 40. It seems like a good way to keep me from getting into a rut, and force me to both plan for adventures and an excuse to enjoy the relaxing pastimes I love. I plan to accomplish all 40 things on my list, but will make no excuses for anything that I don’t accomplish. I want this to be motivating, not stress producing. Each time I do something on the list, I’ll blog to share about it. Hopefully this will keep my blogging long after NoBloPoMo is long over, and definitely at least once a week.
So, here is my list of the 40 things I aim to accomplish before I turn 40:
Get a really short haircut.
- Watch the sunrise with someone I love.
- Go kayaking.
- Go to a Catholic Mass in Fredericton.
- Go downhill skiing with my family.
- Spend an afternoon reading in the public library.
- Eat Japanese food.
- Visit Quebec.
- Go horseback riding.
Give cantaloupe a second chance.
- Attend an exercise class twice a week for a month.
- See a play on Broadway.
- Go to a zoo.
- Visit the Beaverbrook Art Gallery in Fredericton.
- Read a book in one day.
- Make a new friend.
Lose twenty pounds and keep it off.
- Host a dinner party.
- Spend an entire day in my PJ’s watching movies.
- Go whale watching.
- Make my Nanny’s molasses cookies.
- Go white water rafting.
Get a houseplant and keep it alive for at least six months.
- Write for half an hour a day all summer.
- Video myself teaching.
- Have family photographs taken.
Drink a glass of red wine.
- Make my mother-in-law’s pound cake.
Try a new local restaurant.
- Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
- Go to a movie by myself.
- Read a book to my new niece.
Go shopping and for lunch with my mother. Really clean out my closet.
- Get a massage and a pedicure on the same day.
- Have my family over for an authentic Italian meal.
- Try a new recipe every night for a week.
Rekindle and old friendship.
- Blog at least once a week for an entire year.
- Write a novel.